Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Adventures of Tintin in New Zealand

The Adventures of Tintin in New Zealand

Assignment 1: Fanfiction. Telling the story of Tintin in the different mode of prose fiction and adding a scene and characters.


Act One
It was 1983 and Tintin and Snowy had just arrived in Wellington, New Zealand. They were invited there as guests of the Governor General, The Hon Sir David Beattie, whom Tintin had met in Brussels the year before. Tintin had been fascinated to hear all about New Zealand and the Maori culture, so after much consideration he had decided to take up the Governor General’s invitation and make the journey to New Zealand. He was initially reluctant to travel, as he was having a particularly busy time reporting in other countries. However, the Governor General had been very persuasive in encouraging him and had offered to assist him in any way he could.

Tintin had just collected his suitcase from the airport, and the quarantine officials had released Snowy and together they headed outside. Meanwhile, waiting outside was a group of thugs and their boss was telling them what to do.
“Now listen here you lot. His name’s Tintin – a smug little world reporter guy. Tries to clean up crims and causes havoc wherever he goes. He busted some of my mates overseas and they ended up in the slammer. So grab him and his mutt and shove then into the van as soon as you see them.”
“Right-o boss.”
“That’s them! Quick let’s go.”

As quick as lightening, Tintin and Snowy were whisked into the van and with the screech of tyres were racing through the car-park.
“Hey, what’s going on?” shouted Tintin.
“Shut up and stay down” was the reply.

Then suddenly, CRASH, their speeding van hit the side of a passing police car. Tintin and Snowy took the opportunity to leap out and run to the officers.

“Quick, get those guys! They tried to kidnap me” shouted Tintin.

A trail of thick grey smoke could be seen as the thugs managed to get the van engine restarted and fled the scene to the smell of burning rubber from the tyres. The police car followed with its sirens screaming.

Suddenly Tintin heard two loud bangs. Oh no! This is a nightmare, he thought and so he hit the ground and covered his face. After a few moments he got the courage to look up. The noise turned out to be a car backfiring in the neighbouring car-park. What a relief, he thought to himself.


Act Two
Tintin began dusting himself off, feeling very shaky on his feet. That’s strange thought Tintin, and where’s my passport? Just then a dark skinned man came by.
“Are you okay?” the man said.
“Yes, I’m thank you” replied Tintin. “Just a little shaken. A gang of thugs tried to kidnap me and throw me in their van, but they crashed and luckily I was able to escape but they’ve stolen my passport.”
“Not a very nice way to start your visit to Wellington. I’m Rangi anyway.”
“My name is Tintin, and this is Snowy.”
“Haere mai Tintin and Snowy” replied Rangi. “Do you need a ride anywhere?”
(Just after Tintin and Snowy had landed, they had gone to the airport office and collected a letter from the Governor General’s secretary, advising Tintin that he would be collected at 5 pm and driven to the Governor General’s residence.)

“Thankyou Rangi. I’m sorry to refuse your offer, but my ride will be here shortly.”
“Okay then Tintin. You take care now. Here’s my phone number. If you want to see a bit of the real New Zealand, maybe I can show you round someday? Give us a call sometime.”
“I’d like that very much Rangi.”
“Haere ra Tintin and Snowy.”
“Bye Rangi, and thank you for your help.”
“No problem, see you” and off Rangi strode.

I wonder what that was all about and what do they want with my passport, thought Tintin? I’d better find another policeman and notify them. Then suddenly Detective John Simpson from Wellington Central Police arrived.

“Hello, hello, hello. What have we here? You look a bit worse for wear young man. What’s the problem then?”
“I had just landed and was walking out the building and a pack of thugs attacked me and tried to kidnap me. Fortunately their van crashed into your officers’ car and I escaped. But they’ve taken off with my passport.”
“Oh. I see” said Detective Smith. “You’d better come along with me then. These good-for-nothing young troublemakers cause so many problems around here.”
“But sir”, said Tintin. “Not all young men are like that. I just met a wonderful Maori man, Rangi, who helped me.”
“Well they’re few and far between I can assure you. Come along now and we’ll get you sorted. We’d better get moving before they start forging your details.”

Later at the police station.

“And where will you be staying while you’re here Tintin?” the Detective asked.
“I’m staying with Sir David Beattie and his wife. His chauffeur is collecting me at 5 pm.”
“Oh. I see! How very nice for you! And I’m King Aslan!” he said, roaring like a lion at his own joke. “Are you having an old cop on then Tintin?” The Detective put his head right up close to Tintin and called to his second in charge. “Sarge, get in here now. We’ve got a bit of a nutcase on our hands!”
“No sir. Indeed I am not. Here is my letter from Sir David’s secretary” and he passed it to the Detective who spent a long while checking it out.
“My apologies, young man. You appear to be genuine. I hope you have an enjoyable holiday. You can go now. I will phone you if I have any developments.”
“Thank you and good day” said Tintin, and he and Snowy headed to the passenger drop-off point outside where waiting for him was a shiny black limousine and a burly driver who introduced himself as Russell. Russell stowed the cases in the boot and Tintin and Snowy got in the back seat and they drove to the residence.

Meanwhile, the next morning, the boss of the thugs had picked up The Dominion and read the second page. ‘Famous boy reporter visiting our shores as guest of the Governor General cheats kidnap attempt and escapes.’

“The little snot hopped it! Just wait till I get him” bellowed the boss.


Tintin and Snowy spent three days at the Governor General’s residence having a perfectly agreeable time.
“I’ve probably stayed long enough” muttered Tintin, and he picked up Rangi’s card and phoned him.
“Come on over now if you like Tintin”, Rangi said.
So Tintin said his goodbyes to the Governor General and his staff and he and Snowy jumped into the limousine and arrived at Rangi’s house.

“Great to see you again Tintin. You’re looking much better.”
“Thank you Rangi. It’s good to see you too.”
“Come and meet my family. This is my mother and father, my brother Hone, and, looking very sulky in the corner over there, is my sister Temepara. Excuse her” said Rangi, “she’s had a rough day. She’s really into learning the Maori language and they won’t teach it to her at school. Bit of a hangover from the colonial days I think Tintin.”
“It’s very nice to meet you all” said Tintin.
“Oh yeah, Tem, that reminds me” said Hone. “I was speaking to a bloke today and he said he’d heard there was a brand new kindergarten opening for Maori kids, called Te Kohanga Reo. The staff and kids speak only Maori there! Have you heard of it?”
“No” said Temepara, her eyes widening in excitement.
“And” added Hone, “he reckoned soon there were going to me more Kura Kaupapa like Ruatoki for primary kids and even wanangas, so the older teenagers can continue right through with their university studies in Te Reo Maori.”
“That’s brilliant. Can I go there Mum and Dad?”
“You find out about it and we’ll look into it” was her parents’ reply.
“Why do you want to have separate schools for Maori children?” asked Tintin.
“Well, it’s because since the 1940’s Maori families have slowly moved from their rural homes into the cities and now, as a result, less than 20% of Maori know enough of the language to be considered native speakers. Many don’t even know where their Maraes or meeting places of Maori tradition are, nor have any idea of our culture. So our people have taken steps to try to correct this, and that’s why we are now starting to have these places. We had our first Maori Language Week in 1975 to raise awareness, the same year as we had the Land Marches, to protest at the way our lands were taken by the Pakeha” said Hone.

Later that afternoon.

“What are some of your interests Tintin?” Asked Rangi.
“Oh, I like learning about different art and cultures” Tintin replied.
“Well, why don’t we start with a visit to the art gallery then? I can show you some of our great art works. There’s one artist whose work I’d particularly like to show you. His name is Ralph Hotere and his work is brilliant – quite avant garde I suppose you’d call it. He had a really successful exhibition a few years back in 1979 with his friend, the great Maori poet, Hone Tuwhare. The exhibition was based on Hone’s poem ‘Rain’ and Ralph’s work was called ‘Three Banners with Poem’. Hone was really involved in Maori cultural and political initiatives. Ever since that exhibition, Ralph’s work has been really popular.”
“That would be splendid” replied Tintin. “Let’s be off then.”
But just as they were preparing to leave, the phone rang.
“Is Tintin there?” the voice said.
“Yes, just a minute. Tintin – phone for you.”
“Hello, Tintin speaking.”
“If you want your passport back, you’d better go check your friend’s letterbox” then bang, the line was dead. Tintin told Rangi and they ran to the letterbox and in it was a torn piece of crumpled up paper with words that made no sense at all.
“Give me a few minutes Rangi. I’ll have to try and decipher this”…

2 comments:

harim said...

Renabrab, you have adopted ‘the Adventures of Tintin’ into New Zealand situation very well. It is exciting to find familiar names of people and places. It is well organised and the new characters you have added are excellent. They represent New Zealand at the same time play variety of roles which make the fanfiction interesting.

On the other hand, the flow of the story is quite brief so it seems like reading a comic book (though only the words without the pictures) to me. Especially the changes of scenes are sometimes quite sudden, which leave me wonder how they happened. For example, presumably Tintin and Snowy were at the Central Police Station in Wellington (as the detective comes from this place) to deal with the kidnapping incident and then suddenly they were at the airport. I do not know the exact places of these two but I do not think they located close together.
“Thank you and good day” said Tintin, and he and Snowy headed to the passenger drop-off point outside where waiting for him was a shiny black limousine…”
Maybe adding some illustrations or more description would have made the story better connected.

renabrab said...

Harim, I will respond to your observations. Firstly with regard to your perception of brevity, I refer you to the assignment criteria to produce 'a 1,200 word fanfiction contribution' - not a chapter or novella as many have done.
Secondly, regarding your perception that the scene moves from the airport to the 'Central Police Station'. I suggest you re-read, particularly: 'they were racing through the carpark ... then suddenly CRASH. Tintin and Snowy ... leap out and run to the officers.' Tintin then hit the ground on hearing the two bangs in 'the neighbouring carpark', dusted himself off, meets Rangi at that spot - nothing suggests he's moved from the airport surrounds. Det. Simpson arrives at the scene - detectives do have cars - and Tintin explains 'I had just landed and was walking out the building and a pack of thugs attacked me'. Major airports do have police stations - refer Collins dictionary for definition of station: not only HQ of official organisations but also 'local offices'. I disagree that the story lacks cohesiveness.

The fact it appeared as a comic book to you is not surprising given the transition from graphic novel master text and your prior knowledge of Tintin, to my prose fiction.